BEIRUT – Syrian rebels resumed their evacuation from Aleppo on Wednesday, paving the way for the government to reassume control of the war-torn city.
The Syrian opposition agreed to surrender their last foothold in the city last week, marking the most significant victory for President Bashar Assad since an uprising against his family’s four-decade rule swept the country in 2011.
READ MORE: Russia drafts ‘Moscow Declaration’ to resolve Syrian conflict with Turkey, Iran
It followed a punishing offensive by the government and its regional allies that drove out tens of thousands of civilians from the east of the city.
The government agreed to allow the remaining residents — fighters and civilians — to leave as part of the agreement brokered by Russia and Turkey in Ankara last week.
WATCH: EU’s top diplomat urges international co-operation to prevent Syria turning into ‘black hole’
An Associated Press TV crew said four buses from the opposition’s last foothold in the city arrived to the western Aleppo countryside Wednesday, marking the first successful evacuation in over 24 hours.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 60 buses are expected to evacuate some 3,000 fighters and civilians from the opposition’s last foothold in the city. It is the last convoy set to leave Aleppo before the government is expected to declare it has reassumed full control of the city for the first time since rebels carved out an enclave for the opposition in 2012.
READ MORE: Buses headed to Aleppo for evacuation attacked, burned
Syrian state TV said the evacuations resumed after rebels handed over prisoners taken in previous rounds of fighting.
A dispute delayed the final round of evacuations for over 24 hours after some 20,000 civilians and fighters were bused out of the city.
Some 3,000 rebel fighters and civilians endured harsh wintry conditions overnight, waiting to board what may be the last convoy out of the east. Activists circulated photos on social media of families huddled around fires amid the sleet and snow. By midday, temperatures in the city hovered around freezing.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which monitors the conflict through a network of activists on the ground, said 60 buses were waiting to leave.
Rebels and the government traded blame for the delay.
READ MORE: Turkey ambassador killing a ploy to wreck Syrian peace process, says Vladimir Putin
Syrian state media said on Tuesday evening that “differences among terrorist groups” were holding up the evacuations from Aleppo and from two rebel-besieged Shiite villages in the country’s north, Foua and Kfarya. The government calls all armed opposition fighters terrorists.
The rebels are supposed to allow the evacuation of the sick and wounded from the two villages as part of a cease-fire deal reached last week to ensure the evacuation of eastern, rebel-held part of the city of Aleppo.
The International Committee of the Red Cross said it was prepared to facilitate the evacuations when they resume.
WATCH: Aleppo girl, Bana Alabed, meets Turkish President Erdogan
Spokeswoman Ingy Sedky said the ICRC had already evacuated 750 people from the twin villages. This would leave some 1,500 more requiring evacuation, according to the deal reached by rebels and the government Monday.
On Tuesday, the ICRC said it has evacuated 25,000 people from the city since operations began last week, but the Observatory says the tally is closer to 17,000.
The Observatory also said 21 buses are still waiting to evacuate the sick and wounded from the rebel-besieged Shiite villages of Foua and Kfarya.
Also Tuesday, the U.N. humanitarian aid agency said Syria’s government authorized U.N. plans to send about 20 staffers to monitor evacuations from eastern Aleppo. It was not clear if the U.N. monitors would arrive before the operations were complete.
Elsewhere in northern Syria, fighting between the Islamic State group on one side, and Turkish forces and Syrian opposition forces on the other, killed four Turkish soldiers, according to the state Anadolu news agency.
WATCH: Ban Ki-moon says United Nations has failed the people of Syria
The report cited unnamed military sources as saying that 11 Turkish soldiers were also wounded in the fighting for the IS-held town of al-Bab on Wednesday, including one who was reported to be in critical condition. The agency reported intense clashes near a hospital in the town, saying the militants were using it as a shelter and to store arms and ammunition.
Turkey sent ground troops into northern Syria in August to support Turkey-backed Syrian opposition forces in clearing a border area of Islamic State group militants and to curb Kurdish territorial expansion.
At least 24 Turkish soldiers have been killed so far in the operation, called Euphrates Shield.
Associated Press writer Suzan Fraser in Ankara contributed to this report.
No description. Please update your profile.